Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Giants top Pats to end preseason
Resting nearly all of their starting players, the New England Patriots completed the preseason schedule with a 6-3 loss at the New York Giants Wednesday night.
Quarterback Tom Brady and most of the top players for the Patriots watched the game from the sidelines. Ryan Mallett played the majority of the game at quarterback for New England, which finished the preseason 1-3.
A strip-sack of the other Pats quarterback, Brian Hoyer, came with 2:38 remaining in the fourth quarter and allowed the Giants to score the winning field goal on a 32-yard Lawrence Tynes kick with 1:07 to go.
Adewale Ojomo stripped Hoyer on a blindside hit and Marcus Thomas recovered, rumbling to the New England 17-yard line.
Hoyer had a shot at leading a comeback on the ensuing possession, but threw and interception to Laron Scott at the 1-yard line and New York ran one play to clinch the game.
The Patriots played a quirky preseason schedule with three games in 10 days, which likely led to head coach Bill Belichick sitting so many starting players. They will open the regular season on Sept. 9 at Tennessee.
New England led 3-0 at halftime as neither team was able to do much offensively. The Patriots embarked on a promising 12-play drive that began at the New England 10, but it stalled out, resulting in a 20-yard Stephen Gostkowski field goal in the second frame.
New York tied the game on a 34-yard Tynes field goal in the third quarter.
Hoyer finished 9-for-15 for 96 yards and the one interception. Mallett went 8-for-15 for 40 yards.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Northern Pass vs. the unregulated - 3
- Former PNE power customers promised payment - 1
- Legislation gives Northern Pass project a pass, foes insist - 11
- DOE hears from NH Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte on Northern Pass project - 4
- NH Chambers of Commerce opinions on Northern Pass split geographically - 0
- Northern Pass told in White Mountains: Get off our land - 34
- Wind farms inspire email blast to NH lawmakers - 7
- Natural gas supplier: We'll still take on PSNH - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 0
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 5
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 29
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire