Home » News » Public Safety
Mass. boy, 10, hurt after fall off boat on Lake Winnipesaukee
A Massachusetts boy fell off a boat in Lake Winnipesaukee and was struck by its propeller Saturday, suffering “noticeable blood loss” and multiple lacerations below the left knee, state police said.
The 10-year-old boy from Acton was in stable condition at Lakes Region General Hospital in Laconia and was being admitted to undergo surgery, police said.
When Marine Patrol arrived in the area of Eagle Island, the boy’s legs were wrapped in towels. The victim and his mother were transported by Marine Patrol to the Weirs town docks where an ambulance was waiting.
Four adults and four children were on board the vessel; the children were swimming when the boat drifted into shallow water, police said. Everyone reboarded the vessel, so the boat could navigate into deeper water. The operator, Robert S. Wood, 70, also of Acton, shifted the vessel into reverse and while backing up encountered numerous large boat wakes that sloshed over the swim platform. This shook the boat, causing the victim, who was seated on the transom cushion, to lose his balance and fall over backwards, police said.. His legs then came in contact with the propeller.
At least one adult passenger jumped into the water assisting the victim back onto the boat.
The accident occurred between Bear and Mark Islands
Alcohol and drugs do not appear to be a factor in this accident.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072