Exeter's Arlen second in Paralympics swimming event
After a week of turmoil that saw Victoria Arlen of Exeter ruled ineligible for and then reinstated in the women’s 400-meter freestyle S6 at the Paralympics in London, she ended up taking second at the event on Saturday.
The 17-year-old senior at Exeter High School was edged out by Eleanor Simmonds of Great Britain, who broke Arlen’s world record with a time of 5 minutes, 19.17 seconds. Arlen finished with a time of 5:20.18.
It has been a rough week for Arlen.
On Monday, the International Paralympic Committee ruled after an evaluation that Arlen’s impairment no longer fit a certain classification.
The U.S. Paralympic Committee appealed that decision and after providing information absent from the first evaluation, a second evaluation was done and on Thursday the IPC said she can remain in the sport classifications in which she was entered.
Swimmers are allocated into classes between 1 and 14, with 1-10 containing those with a physical disability. Class 1 is the most severe and class 10 is the least.
Re-testing athletes is standard for the IPC, which traditionally does so prior to all major championships.
Arlen is a paraplegic as the result of a five-year battle with transverse myelitis, a neurological disease that caused inflammation in her spine. She returned to swimming last year after two years in a vegetative state and set world records in the S6 100 and 400 at the U.S. trials earlier this year.
Arlen still has three more events in which she is scheduled to compete. She will race in the 50-meter freestyle S6 on Tuesday, the 100-meter breaststroke SB5 on Wednesday and the 100-meter freestyle S6 next Saturday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hammer-Lacey team wins NHGA Four Ball tourney - 0
- Sergio makes a splash, but can't hold that Tiger - 0
- Rookie Ernst beats Lynn in PGA golf playoff at Quail Hollow - 0
- NH Golf: Smith still chasing his dream at 33 - 0
- Australian Adam Scott wins Masters in playoff - 1
- Cabrera, Snedeker share lead - 0
- Tiger drops into more hot water - 0
- Day grabs Masters lead; teen survives the cut - 0
- Garcia, Leishman share Masters lead - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth woman faces up to life in prison in fatal overdose - 0
- Mass. sex offender indicted for sex assault on child at Plaistow Walmart - 0
- Home care worker indicted for kidnapping, sexual assault of male client - 0
- Police say house guest helped himself to credit card - 0
- Police say women were smoking crack with 2-year-old in car - 0
- Tools, copper piping stolen from construction trailers in Manchester - 0
- Firefighters say casino revenue needed for 'public safety' - 8
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840