Decisive wins solidify Exeter, Pinkerton, Central atop Power Poll
Playing against teams from a smaller division, top-ranked Exeter High, No. 2 Pinkerton Academy of Derry and and Manchester Central had little trouble strengthening their hold in the top three spots in the New Hamsphire Union Leader/WGIR/WMUR High School Football Power Poll, each recording a decisive Week 1 victory this weekend.
Exeter, which routed Seacoast neighbor Dover Friday night, 42-7, received seven of a possible eight first-place votes in balloting by representatives of the three statewide media outlets, totaling 79 points. Pinkerton, which received the other first-place vote and totaled 72 points, retained the second spot after defeating then-No. 4 Bishop Guertin of Nashua, 20-3. Manchester Central routed Timberlane Regional of Plaistow, 32-0, and remained at No. 3 with 65 points.
Exeter, Pinkerton and Central all are Division I schools, while Dover, BG and Timberlane are in Division II.
The defeat dropped BG to No. 9 in the poll, while Dover, which entered the season ranked sixth, fell out of the top 10 altogether. Salem, a Division I, also dropped out of the top 10 after suffering a 62-7 rout at the hands of the team with which it had shared the No. 9 spot, Division II Keene.
Entering the poll this week were Winnacunnet of Hampton, tied for seventh with Portsmouth, and Concord, alone at No. 10.
The Power Poll top 10 after Week 1:
1. Exeter (1-0)
2. Pinkerton (1-0)
3. Manchester Central (1-0)
4. Nashua South (1-0)
5. Keene (1-0)
6. Bedford (1-0)
T7. Portsmouth (1-0)
T7. Winnacunnet (1-0)
9. Bishop Guertin (0-1)
10. Concord (1-0)
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem - 0
- Pro bouts highlight Rockingham Park MMA card in Salem - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: The magic has returned to Fenway - 0
- MLB draft rich with NH talent - 0
- Red Sox stuck to their plan during draft - 0
- Salem boys take another v-ball title - 0
- LeBlanc paces Conant win over Somersworth for Division III baseball title - 0
- Perkins paces Pittsfield - 0
- State girls final tennis match gains attention for the wrong reason - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Recent 'Fugitive of the Week' Michelle Smith captured in Nashua - 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 16
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 12
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840