Jacksonville RB Jones-Drew ends holdout
Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew ended his holdout by reporting to the team Sunday.
Jones-Drew has been seeking to rework his contract, which has two years remaining. He is due to earn $4.45 million this season and $4.45 in 2013, but NFL.com reported that no changes were made.
The holdout reportedly cost him more than $1 million in fines, but it is likely the fines will be forgiven or reduced.
Coach Mike Mularkey, who said last week that Rashad Jennings will likely start the season opener, met with Jones-Drew on Sunday morning.
“I had a really good visit this morning with Maurice and I welcomed him in,” Mularkey said. “It was good to finally speak face-to-face. I can tell he's ready to go, so we'll be working with him to get him up to speed as quickly as possible.
“It's great to be able to proceed with our preparation for the opener and the season beyond with Maurice as part of the plans.”
Jennings, who is expected to start the season opener against the Minnesota Vikings on Sept. 9, tweeted: “Just shared some love with @Jones_Drew32 in the locker room. Glad to see you back — Let's work brah!”
Jennings has 132 carries in his NFL career.
Jones-Drew didn't participate in offseason workouts or minicamp, including installation of Mularkey's system.
“It's great to have Maurice back in the building,” general manager Gene Smith said. “He has been a valuable part of this organization, and his presence in the locker room and on the field will make those around him better.”
We're glad to now have everyone in and working as a team to win football games.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Volunteer drivers needed in Windham
North Country ATV trail opening on schedule
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840