Home » News » Public Safety
Stratham motorcycle crash victims identified
STRATHAM - A Raymond man was driving the 2007 Yamaha motorcycle that crashed early Tuesday morning on Route 101 West, killing him and his Massachusetts passenger, according to state police.
Investigators identified the driver as Michael Gazeaud, 36, and his passenger as Alexa Christakos, 23, of Lowell, Mass. Police believe the crash happened about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday but was not discovered until 6:30 a.m. when a passing motorist reported seeing a motorcycle on its side about a half-mile east of Exit 10 on Route 101 West.
Gazeaud and Christakos were pronounced dead at the scene, according to state police Capt. John LeLacheur..
The accident was discovered at daylight – six hours after a state trooper running radar clocked a motorcyclist traveling at 119 mph on Route 101 two miles east in Exeter, LeLacheur said. Police believe the crashed motorcycle and the one clocked are the same.
“What happened was as the sun came up a person reported a motorcycle lying on the side of the road. When the first trooper got here he found there was a double fatality, two occupants on one motorcycle,” LeLacheur said.
LeLacheur said the trooper tried to keep a visual on the motorcycle when he clocked it, but after he drove 100 yards realized the bike was already out of sight.
The cause of the accident remains under investigation, but speed is believed to be a factor, LeLacheur said.
The motorcyclist first struck a small road sign and then hit a larger sign for Exit 10 a short distance away. LeLacheur said the female passenger was thrown off the motorcycle while the male operator remained with it until it crashed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
For the people: A century of the NH primary
Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name