Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox close out 1-8 West Coast trip with loss to Mariners
SEATTLE -- Kevin Millwood worked six strong innings and Dustin Ackley singled in a pair of runs as host Seattle took the rubber game from fading Boston, 2-1, on Wednesday.
Millwood (5-12) allowed one run on four hits while walking three and striking out three to snap a six-start winless streak. Four relievers combined to work the seventh and eighth and Tom Wilhelmsen finished up with his 24th save for the Mariners, who pushed back to within four games of .500 (67-71).
Cody Ross had three hits and the lone RBI for the Red Sox, who dropped eight of nine on their West Coast trip while being outscored 63-21.
Seattle broke through against Aaron Cook (3-9) in the fourth. Two singles sandwiched around a walk loaded the bases before Brendan Ryan popped out. Cook got the ground ball he needed from Ackley but it found a hole, shooting straight back through the box and into center field to score Eric Thames and Mike Carp.
Ross doubled home Jacoby Ellsbury in the sixth and Boston put a runner on in each of the last three innings, but could not push across the tying run.
Cook ended up going six innings and was charged with both runs on seven hits. The veteran right-hander is 0-4 in his last five starts.
- - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston 2B Dustin Pedroia went 0-for-3 to snap a 15-game hitting streak. ... Mariners OFs Michael Saunders (groin) and Franklin Gutierrez (groin) are expected to return to the lineup Friday, when Seattle opens a three-game series against the Oakland Athletics. ... The Red Sox get Thursday off before opening a homestand against the Toronto Blue Jays on Friday. ... Boston INF Pedro Ciriaco is 5-for-37 over his last 10 games, dropping his batting average from .360 to .312.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson poised to win sixth Sprint Cup crown - 0
- Hamlin on pole for Sunday's Goody's 500 at Martinsville - 0
- Truck Series will return to Loudon Sept. 20 - 0
- McMurray winsat Talladega.; Jimmie Johnson takes Chase lead - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Ford Fall Brawl has plenty of big names - 0
- NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning - 2
- Brad Keselowski outduels Kasey Kahne to return to victory lane - 0
- Harvick takes Kansas; Kenseth’s Nascar Sprint Cup lead dented - 0
- Pines Speedway Reunion set in Groveland, Mass. - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false