Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox close out 1-8 West Coast trip with loss to Mariners
SEATTLE -- Kevin Millwood worked six strong innings and Dustin Ackley singled in a pair of runs as host Seattle took the rubber game from fading Boston, 2-1, on Wednesday.
Millwood (5-12) allowed one run on four hits while walking three and striking out three to snap a six-start winless streak. Four relievers combined to work the seventh and eighth and Tom Wilhelmsen finished up with his 24th save for the Mariners, who pushed back to within four games of .500 (67-71).
Cody Ross had three hits and the lone RBI for the Red Sox, who dropped eight of nine on their West Coast trip while being outscored 63-21.
Seattle broke through against Aaron Cook (3-9) in the fourth. Two singles sandwiched around a walk loaded the bases before Brendan Ryan popped out. Cook got the ground ball he needed from Ackley but it found a hole, shooting straight back through the box and into center field to score Eric Thames and Mike Carp.
Ross doubled home Jacoby Ellsbury in the sixth and Boston put a runner on in each of the last three innings, but could not push across the tying run.
Cook ended up going six innings and was charged with both runs on seven hits. The veteran right-hander is 0-4 in his last five starts.
- - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston 2B Dustin Pedroia went 0-for-3 to snap a 15-game hitting streak. ... Mariners OFs Michael Saunders (groin) and Franklin Gutierrez (groin) are expected to return to the lineup Friday, when Seattle opens a three-game series against the Oakland Athletics. ... The Red Sox get Thursday off before opening a homestand against the Toronto Blue Jays on Friday. ... Boston INF Pedro Ciriaco is 5-for-37 over his last 10 games, dropping his batting average from .360 to .312.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Wounded during Gilford chicken coop raid, bear is euthanized - 3
- Epping dump cats left on their own - 46
- This Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Animal rights group finds butterfly release at kindness rally kind of cruel - 10
- Bald eagle family takes up residence in Manchester - 4
- Auto dealership employees give stray parakeet new lease on life - 0
- Big Cat Coffees website accepts NH Humane Society donations - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Dogs can be taught not to pull on leash - 0
- This week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 4
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 4
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 6
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 4
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 2
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 1
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Derry marks a soldier's death
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Memorial Day Observances 2013