Home » News » Public Safety
Bakersville students return to class after small electrical fire
MANCHESTER - Bakersville School was evacuated Friday morning after a power line connected to the school caught fire, according to a fire official.
The fire was reported shortly after 10:30 a.m. and the small blaze at the top of a utility pole was quickly extinguished by the fire department. No one was injured.
Power to the school was shut off, however, and PSNH crews were on site immediately to remove the damaged wire and make repairs.
Construction crews were at the neighborhood elementary school for pre-kindergarten to fifth grade students repairing deteriorating brick.
Mark Fay, maintenance supervisor in the city's facilities department, said he does not believe the construction had anything to do with the electrical fire.
The fire broke out in a PSNH power line coming into the building. PSNH had wrapped the wiring attached to the building in heavy plastic at the request of the construction crew, according to Fay.
Water and grout had fallen down into the plastic but Fay said it t has not been determined how the fire started. He said it could be anything from a split wire to a nick in the wiring.
The students were evacuated to the nearby Bishop O'Neil Center and returned to the school late in the morning.
Power was expected to be restored by early afternoon.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 6
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 24
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- Nurse said Exeter Hospital is making her a ‘scapegoat’ in hepatitis case - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands