Home » Opinion » Editorials
Going to vote? Don’t forget your ID
NH voters face a ballot full of choices in primaries today
If you are voting in today’s primary elections (if not, why aren’t you?), do not forget to bring a photo ID. You can vote without one today, but you might as well get into the habit of bringing it to the polls.
Today’s elections are the first under the state’s new voter ID law. You should bring your ID to your polling place and be prepared to show it. What if you don’t have a photo ID? Don’t worry. Contrary to opponents’ caterwauling, the law does not disenfranchise anyone. You will be allowed to vote.
But starting in November, if you show up without an accepted photo ID you must sign a challenged voter affidavit stating that you are who you say you are.
The Secretary of State’s Office lists the following forms of ID as acceptable for all elections between now and next Sept. 1:
-- Any state driver’s license;
-- A NH DMV ID card;
-- A U.S. Armed Services ID card;
-- A U.S. Passport;
-- A valid federal, state or local government photo ID card;
-- A valid student ID.
Local election officials are empowered to accept other IDs “deemed legitimate.”
Again, if you don’t have one of those, you can still vote today. But it is a good idea to get one before the general election on Nov. 6.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place'
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty