action:article | category:NEWS06 | adString:NEWS06 | zoneID:52

Home » News » Politics

September 14. 2012 12:11AM

Webster's Corner work may begin in spring

DERRY — Construction on a $5 million municipal water and sewer extension to the Webster’s Corner section of East Derry could begin next April or May.

Public Works Director Mike Fowler and several project engineers updated the Conservation Commission on the potential environmental impact of the project at a meeting earlier this week.

Fowler said the project is nearing completion of the design phase and will be going forward to the state’s Department of Environmental Services for wetland permits.

As the process moves along, Fowler said the town will also be looking at the possibility of closing down a portion of Rockingham Road next summer to speed the project along. However, Fowler noted that the plans are not finalized and the town still has to come up with an acceptable detour plan before any summer road closures are approved.

“We’re still working on the final parts of the plan relative to the construction impacts,” said Fowler. “What we are leaning toward, but don’t hold me to it, is a nine- to 10-week shutdown during the summer to try to complete all the sewer and water. It would coincide with the school closing and then reopen the road to traffic when school opens.”

Similar construction plans have worked well in the past, but Fowler said the town still has to work through a detour plan before it is finalized.

“Ultimately, we will have to hash that out before the design is finished,” he said. “I believe Rockingham Road carries at least 12,000 vehicles a day.”

The water and sewer project begins around the intersection of Rockingham Road and Bradford Street, proceeds easterly toward Rockingham Road toward the Island Pond Road intersection and will extend south along Route 28 as far as Berry Road, according to Fowler.

One of the larger pieces of the project is a bridge and culvert replacement over a stream near Bradford Street.

The corrugated metal pipes under the existing stone culvert are heavily rusted, according to Hoyle Tanner engineer Josif Bicja.

The culvert will be replaced by a 20-foot span with a precast, three-sided rigid frame, Bicja said. The replacement structure has been approved by the state’s Department of Transportation.

There will also be 200-feet of approach work on the road leading to the new bridge.

“Additional improvements include some drainage structures and approach guardrails for safety reasons,” said Bicja.

aswift@newstote.com

Sorry, no question available

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!