Home » News » Public Safety
Inmate at Hillsborough jail commits suicide
MANCHESTER — The death of an inmate at the Hillsborough County Jail has been ruled a suicide, police said.
Ralph Pond, 43, of Newfields, was found unconscious in his cell at the Valley Street facility Thursday afternoon at about 2:15 p.m. and pronounced dead at the facility about a half hour later.
Pond was being held for parole and probation violations and on drug and weapons charges, and had been admitted to the facility on 10 previous occasions, according to the head of the county Department of Corrections.
Superintendent David Dionne said Pond was alone in his cell when he was discovered.
“We had no indication Mr. Pond was in any form of distress,” Dionne said in a press release.
Correctional officers and medical personnel at the jail performed emergency resuscitation efforts until Manchester firefighters and an ambulance crew from American Medical Response arrived. He was pronounced dead by members of the emergency response team at 2:45 p.m.
Pond was being held without bail at the request of the parole and probation departments, according to county officials. He was also being held for trial on charges of being a felon in possession of a dangerous weapon. He was also charged with possession of a controlled drug.
Manchester police and county corrections officials are investigating.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 2
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 5
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072