Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Late uprising lifts Sox past Jays, 8-5
Rookie Mauro Gomez ripped a two-run triple to snap a tie in the ninth inning as visiting Boston ended a six-game losing skid to Toronto with an 8-5 win Friday night at Rogers Centre.
Ryan Lavarnway belted a three-run homer in the fourth inning to double his season RBI total before a sacrifice fly in the ninth capped his night. Daniel Nava ripped a two-run single in the fifth for the Red Sox, who moved to within a game of the fourth-place Blue Jays.
With runners on first and second in the ninth inning, Gomez deposited a low fastball from Casey Janssen into the gap in right-center field. Jacoby Ellsbury and Cody Ross scored easily while Gomez raced into third with his first career triple. Gomez was promptly brought home on a sacrifice fly by Lavarnway.
Brett Lawrie ripped an RBI double down the left-field line to tie the game at 5 in the eighth inning. Yunel Escobar had an RBI single and Moises Sierra and Anthony Gose scored on wild pitches for the Blue Jays, who have dropped three of their last four.
Chris Carpenter (1-0) recorded the final two outs of the eighth inning and Andrew Bailey worked the ninth for his third save. Darren Oliver (3-3), who put Ellsbury aboard with a leadoff single in the ninth, suffered the loss after yielding one run on two hits in one inning.
Game Notebook: Toronto's J.P. Arencibia, who went 0-for-4 on Friday, is 1-for-18 since returning from the disabled list with a broken hand. ... Blue Jays RHP Jason Frasor made his 500th career appearance to begin the sixth inning. ... Boston reliever Junichi Tazawa, who fanned two in one inning on Friday, has 20 strikeouts in his last 11 appearances.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Concord proves it's the state's best - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 6
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans