Home » Sports » College Sports
College Football: Dartmouth rolls over Butler
Dartmouth left little doubt that it was ready to play Saturday night despite being the nation's last Division I football program to begin its season.
It took the Big Green exactly 14 seconds to put points on the board in a 35-7 home victory over Butler under the lights in Hanover.
Miles Gay took the opening kick and ran 85 yards to put Dartmouth up 6-0. Dominick Pierre rumbled in from seven yards out midway through the first and Riley Lyons' kick made it 14-0.
Butler's Matt Lancaster connected with Derek O'Connor from five yards out to cut it to 14-7 with 8:05 gone in the second.
Sophomore quarterback Alex Park, who transferred over the summer from UNH, regained the two-score lead for Dartmouth when he hit Michael Reilly with a 24 yard strike with 19 seconds remaining in the half.
The Big Green (1-0) added touchdowns in each of the final two quarters. Park scored on a one yard quarterback keeper in the third and Pierre blasted his way in from one yard out in the fourth.
Pierre finished with 170 yards on 26 carries with two touchdowns. His longest run of the game went for 31 yards. Park was efficient connecting on 15-of-20 passes for 184 yards and one touchdown with no interceptions. Reilly had four catches for 92 yards and the touchdown.
Butler was led by wide receiver O'Connor's nine catches for 164 yards and a touchdown. Quarterback Matt Lancaster hit on 25-of-35 passes for 267 yards with a touchdown and no interceptions.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- No. 1 UConn women rout No. 2 Duke - 0
- Patriots’ Wilfork maintains he’ll be back - 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 6
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child