Home » News » Public Safety
Fire guts market on Manchester's Massabesic Street
MANCHESTER — Firefighters are trying to determine the cause of a three-alarm fire that gutted the Sahara International Supermarket at 750 Massabesic St. late Sunday night.
“It’s too early to say right now what caused this,” Manchester Fire Chief James Burkush said as firefighters manning water cannons continued to spray water on the smoldering shell of the market. “We’ll have to take a look at things.”
Burkush said the initial call at 9:51 p.m. came from a passerby who said they saw flames coming from the rear of the building. Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke pouring from the roof and back of the market, whose sign indicated it sold Arabic, Pakistani, Indian, European and African food.
“The guys made a quick search of the premises, and made an attempt to fight the fire,” said Burkush. “But we made the call to pull them out of there, and tackle it from outside.”
The market was the scene of an arson fire two years ago. Burkush confirmed that a fire was set there on March 8, 2010. Within days of that, an arsonist also set ablaze two vacant buildings on nearby Mammoth Road.
Sunday night’s fire drew a crowd of onlookers, some from the East Side Club next door.
“The place just went straight up,” said Mike, an East Side Club patron who asked that his last name not be used. “That place had the best shawarma subs in the city. I’m really going to miss it.”
Portions of Mammoth Road and Massabesic Street were closed while firefighters looked for hot spots in the building. Burkush said the fire was knocked down by 10:45 p.m.
Investigators are expected on scene today.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 4
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 2
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Hampton woman, 75, hit by truck in Newington in serious condition - 0
- Police: Handling issues of mentally ill just part of the job - 0
- Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use - 5
- Officials: Missing teen sent letter weeks after last sighting - 0
- UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m. - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New Hampshire Senior News Notes
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Plea deal possible in Littleton murder
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072