Home » News » Public Safety
Answers sought in Manchester international market fire
MANCHESTER — Fire investigators spent Monday at the Massabesic Street market destroyed by fire Sunday and will return there today to learn what caused the three-alarm blaze.
“We're going back there tomorrow to determine origin and cause,” District Fire Chief Edward O'Reilly said Monday.
“Everything is on the table. It's under active investigation,” he said.
The Sahara International Supermarket at 750 Massabesic St. was destroyed by the blaze reported by a passerby about 9:51 p.m. Firefighters faced roof collapses and primarily waged an exterior attack before bringing the fire under control at 11:19 p.m., fire officials said.
There were no reported injuries.
Fire Chief James Burkush said the fire appeared to have started on the second floor toward the back of the wooden building.
The building once housed the popular Cheapo Depot, a store that sold discount goods.
“You can arguably call it a landmark building in the city,” O'Reilly said.
It most recently was home to Sahara International Market.
The building was the target of an arson fire on March 8, 2010. An arsonist also set fire to two vacant buildings on nearby Mammoth Road. The three are among a cluster of arson fires that occurred in early March 2010 and remain unsolved.
Investigators said it is too early to say if Sunday's fire was suspicious.
The building is owned by Monitor Medical LLC of Hooksett.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072