Red Sox rally past Rays, 7-5
Ryan Lavarnway had two hits and doubled home two runs in a three-run seventh inning as visiting Boston rallied past Tampa Bay on Tuesday night, 7-5, to send the Rays to their fourth consecutive loss.
Felix Doubront (11-9) snapped a five-game losing streak by allowing three runs — one earned — on only one hit in six innings. He struck out five and walked five in handing the skidding Rays their seventh defeat in eight games to drop them 5 1/2 games behind Baltimore for the second wild card.
James Loney, Jacoby Ellsbury and Jarrod Saltalamacchia added run-scoring singles for Boston, which improved to 4-1 on its seven-game road trip and beat Tampa Bay for the ninth time in 14 meetings this year.
Ben Zobrist had two hits and four RBIs for the Rays, who loaded the bases in the third and seventh innings without a hit and failed to hold a 3-0 lead through three innings.
Rays starter Jeremy Hellickson lasted only four-plus innings, giving up three runs on five hits to fall to 0-3 in his last five starts as Tampa Bay fell six games behind the AL East-leading New York Yankees.
Kyle Farnsworth (1-6) took the loss when he allowed two hits and an unearned run in two-thirds of an inning.
NOTES: Tampa Bay’s Evan Longoria was back in the lineup after missing one game to rest his legs. He had a sacrifice fly to give him 60 RBIs in 72 career games against Boston. ... Andrew Bailey earned his fifth save for the Red Sox, who last won four of five games from July 28-Aug. 1. ... Rays 3B Sean Rodriguez, who came off the disabled list Saturday, has committed four errors in the first two games versus Boston. ... The Pawtucket Red Sox were defeated by the Reno Aces, 10-3, in the Triple-A championship game Tuesday night in Durham, N.C.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos - 23
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
- UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice' - 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 1
- Tiny Thomas More College class urged to be courageous - 0
- Lebanon College graduates 19 - 0
- Plymouth State speaker tells grads to 'Become agents of change' - 1
- Former FBI head tells St. Anselm graduates it is important to give back - 1
- UNH commencement speaker tells graduates: Don't worry about mistakes, learn from them - 14
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Manchester alderman urges review of police phone use - 13
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 2
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840