Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox staff collapses in huge loss
Carlos Pena smacked a go-ahead two-run homer to help rookie Chris Archer earn his first major-league win as host Tampa Bay snapped a four-game losing streak with a 13-3 win over the Red Sox on Wednesday to keep its fading postseason hopes alive.
Jeff Keppinger homered among his three hits and Desmond Jennings ripped a two-run triple to ignite a seven-run sixth inning as the Rays matched a season high in runs and moved within 5½ games of Baltimore for the American League’s second wild card.
Archer (1-3) benefited from the offensive outburst in his fourth career start, giving up three runs on five hits in five innings. He struck out six and walked four as Tampa Bay won for only the second time in nine games.
The Rays went ahead in the fourth on a tying solo blast by Keppinger and a two-run shot by Pena off Red Sox starter Daisuke Matsuzaka before blowing it open against Boston’s bullpen in the sixth.
Matsuzaka (1-6) was hit hard again in losing his third straight decision, allowing five runs on nine hits in three-plus innings to drop to 2-8 lifetime against Tampa Bay. Jacoby Ellsbury had three hits and two RBIs for the Red Sox, who fell to 4-2 on the seven-game road trip.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- No. 1 UConn women rout No. 2 Duke - 0
- Patriots’ Wilfork maintains he’ll be back - 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- “The VA has pointed me in the right direction,” he said. - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'