Pleat wins state Mid-Am for eighth time
Phil Pleat of Nashua CC won his eighth New Hampshire Golf Association's Mid-Amateur Tournament at the Lake Winnipesaukee Golf Club on Wednesday.
Pleat carded a winning 76-77-71-224 tally, topping Brett Wilson of the Golf Club of New England and former two-time champion Craig Steckowych of the Portsmouth CC. Wilson (79-75-72-226) and Steckowych (75-72-79-226) finished two strokes back and 10-over for the tournament.
Steckowych was leading Pleat by six strokes starting the final round. But Pleat converted three birdies including one on the par 4, 18th hole to finish the day at one-under 71.
Steckowych, who hit an eagle during the opening round, couldn't find his groove yesterday. He bogeyed six holes, double bogeyed another and managed just 10 pars and one birdie for a seven-over 79 round. Pleat's win comes just weeks after his comeback victory in the Seniors Tournament.
Pleat becomes the first champion to win back-to-back titles twice in the Mid-Amateur since the tournament's inception in 1984. John Lewandowski (1984-85), Dan Arvanitis (1986-87) and Pleat are the only players to win consecutive crowns.
Arvanitis of Derryfield (74-75-83-232) finished in a tie for fourth place with Sean Lacey of Intervale (75-77-80-232) while 2008 champion Jim Cilley of Canterbury Woods CC was sixth overall at 82-77-75-234.
Rounding out the top 10 was 2006 champion Peter Keilty of Portsmouth CC.
- - - - - - - - - -
Phil Pleat, Nashua Country Club, 76-77-71-224; Brett Wilson, Golf Club of New England, 79-75-72-226; Craig Steckowych, Portsmouth CC, 75-72-79-226; Sean Lacey, Intervale CC, 75-77-80-232; Daniel Arvanitis, Derryfield CC, 74-75-83-232; Jim Cilley, Canterbury Woods CC, 82-77-75-234; Michael Mahan, The Oaks Golf Links, 81-75-80-236; Bob Landry, Loudon CC, 82-78-77-237; Chris Philippy, Canterbury Woods CC, 81-83-74-238; Peter Keilty, Portsmouth CC, 82-80-78-240
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Updated: NH House defies Hassan, kills casino bill by 35-vote margin - 16
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 8
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs