In this weekend's Sunday News
We salute volunteers
The New Hampshire Sunday News this weekend looks at the work of volunteers across the state. Special pages contained inside the newspaper will highlight the work of volunteers, and we will list events and opportunities for those who'd like to get involved. Featured will be information about the recipients of 2012 Spirit of New Hampshire awards, who will be honored at a special event in Concord on Oct. 18.
New line of defense
Criminal defense attorneys say jurors routinely will be told that they have the right to find someone innocent even if the state proves its case, now that New Hampshire has passed a law allowing lawyers to raise the issue.
LaBelle Winery started producing wines commercially in 2005 in a barn behind the owners' house. Next month, the company plans to open an 11-acre winery, retail and event facility in Amherst, where it will increase production from 18,000 to ultimately 60,000 gallons per year as it expands distribution beyond New England. In Business
NASCAR in NH
We'll be in Loudon this weekend to bring you all the twists and turns of Saturday's NASCAR racing and the lead-up to the Sylvania 300 Sprint Cup contest on Sunday. Don't miss a thing.
Highland Games fun
The 37th New Hampshire Highland Games & Festival will be held from Friday to Sunday at Loon Mountain in Lincoln. The gathering of the Scottish clans will feature international Scottish athletics competitions; sheepdog trials; Celtic music concerts; and contests among fiddle players, highland dancers and Scottish harpists, to name a handful. Look for our coverage.
Dennis Quaid will be on the small screen this fall in “Vegas.'' Meet him and other actors, authors and musicians whose projects will be making news soon. Also, it's National Rice Month (who knew?). In honor of the occasion, we'll show you how to whip up five delicious recipes.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 7
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief