Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Upton's walk-off blast finishes Rays rally over Red Sox
B.J. Upton hammered a three-run walk-off homer to cap a six-run ninth inning as host Tampa Bay rallied for a stunning 7-4 victory over Boston on Thursday night.
Desmond Jennings tied the game with a two-run single off Red Sox closer Andrew Bailey (1-1) before Upton followed with his 24th homer, a shot to center field off Vicente Padilla to pull the Rays within 5 1/2 games of wild card co-leaders Oakland and Baltimore with 12 to play.
Burke Badenhop (2-2) retired the only batter he faced as Tampa Bay earned a split of the four-game series to keep its faint postseason hopes alive. Carlos Pena also had an RBI single in the ninth.
The loss spoiled a superb effort by Boston starter Clay Buchholz, who threw seven scoreless innings to outpitch Rays ace left-hander David Price. Price allowed three runs on eight hits in 7 1/3 innings.
Jose Iglesias had three hits and clubbed his first career homer to give the Red Sox a 4-1 lead in the top of the ninth. Ryan Lavarnway and Mauro Gomez each had two hits and an RBI for Boston.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Pedro Ciriaco started in center field for the Red Sox but was yanked from the game in the fourth inning after allowing a pair of fly balls to drop in for doubles. ... Price had his 29 1/3 scoreless innings string at home snapped by Cody Ross' double in the sixth. The Rays haven't scored for Price at home since July 19. ... The Boston Globe reported that Rays bench coach Dave Martinez and Red Sox bench coach Tim Bogar are front-runners for the vacant managerial opening in Houston.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem - 0
- Pro bouts highlight Rockingham Park MMA card in Salem - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: The magic has returned to Fenway - 0
- MLB draft rich with NH talent - 0
- Red Sox stuck to their plan during draft - 0
- Salem boys take another v-ball title - 0
- LeBlanc paces Conant win over Somersworth for Division III baseball title - 0
- Perkins paces Pittsfield - 0
- State girls final tennis match gains attention for the wrong reason - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 10
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 9
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?