Home » Sports » Motor Sports
NHMS Notebook: Split decision for the local guys
LOUDON --- Mike Olsen wanted more out of his qualifying run.
Frank Stoddard Jr. thought Friday went just fine for his driver.
Stoddard and Olsen are the two North Haverhill guys teaming up for Sunday afternoon’s Sylvania 300.
“As a driver, you always want to back up what you did in practice, at least,” said Olsen, 44.
Olsen wasn’t able to do that and had the slowest time in qualifying.
Stoddard, in his second season as a Cup owner, preferred to look at how the overall day went. Olsen has never raced a Sprint Cup car and was in one for the first time during a single 90-minute practice session before qualifying.
“Practice went extremely well,” Stoddard said, “I was thrilled, real happy with how quickly Michael got up to speed in practice. But we’ve still got a long way to go.”
Stoddard was not worried about the qualifying spot.
“Michael was a little cautious in qualifying,” Stoddard said. “I told him that by rights we should be last in qualifying. All these other guys do this every weekend and they’ve got to lay everything out there.”
Olsen did not have to qualify on time in Stoddard’s Ford, sponsored by North Country of Lancaster. Stoddard is guaranteed a spot in the starting field because he is in the top 35 in owner’s points.
- - - - - - - -
Brett Moffitt, who leads the K&N Pro Series East standings and is the defending race champion here, qualified first for this afternoon’s G-Oil 100 K&N race. . . . Travis Pastrana, star of extreme motorsports, will start 14th in his iRacing.com Toyota. Pastrana is 16th in points. Pastrana finished 20th in the K&N race in his NHMS debut in 2011 and did not finish in the Nationwide race here in July. . . . Donny Lia qualified first for the F.W. Webb 100 NASCAR Whelen Modified race. . . . Andy Seuss of Hampstead will start 13th and Steve Dickey of Londonderry 28th.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson poised to win sixth Sprint Cup crown - 0
- Hamlin on pole for Sunday's Goody's 500 at Martinsville - 0
- Truck Series will return to Loudon Sept. 20 - 0
- McMurray winsat Talladega.; Jimmie Johnson takes Chase lead - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Ford Fall Brawl has plenty of big names - 0
- NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning - 2
- Brad Keselowski outduels Kasey Kahne to return to victory lane - 0
- Harvick takes Kansas; Kenseth’s Nascar Sprint Cup lead dented - 0
- Pines Speedway Reunion set in Groveland, Mass. - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Ice storm threatens the region
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass