Home » Sports » Motor Sports
NHMS Notebook: Split decision for the local guys
Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Hamlin's bold prediction the talk of NHMS
Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Gordon's week takes turn for better
LOUDON --- Mike Olsen wanted more out of his qualifying run.
Frank Stoddard Jr. thought Friday went just fine for his driver.
Stoddard and Olsen are the two North Haverhill guys teaming up for Sunday afternoon’s Sylvania 300.
“As a driver, you always want to back up what you did in practice, at least,” said Olsen, 44.
Olsen wasn’t able to do that and had the slowest time in qualifying.
Stoddard, in his second season as a Cup owner, preferred to look at how the overall day went. Olsen has never raced a Sprint Cup car and was in one for the first time during a single 90-minute practice session before qualifying.
“Practice went extremely well,” Stoddard said, “I was thrilled, real happy with how quickly Michael got up to speed in practice. But we’ve still got a long way to go.”
Stoddard was not worried about the qualifying spot.
“Michael was a little cautious in qualifying,” Stoddard said. “I told him that by rights we should be last in qualifying. All these other guys do this every weekend and they’ve got to lay everything out there.”
Olsen did not have to qualify on time in Stoddard’s Ford, sponsored by North Country of Lancaster. Stoddard is guaranteed a spot in the starting field because he is in the top 35 in owner’s points.
- - - - - - - -
Brett Moffitt, who leads the K&N Pro Series East standings and is the defending race champion here, qualified first for this afternoon’s G-Oil 100 K&N race. . . . Travis Pastrana, star of extreme motorsports, will start 14th in his iRacing.com Toyota. Pastrana is 16th in points. Pastrana finished 20th in the K&N race in his NHMS debut in 2011 and did not finish in the Nationwide race here in July. . . . Donny Lia qualified first for the F.W. Webb 100 NASCAR Whelen Modified race. . . . Andy Seuss of Hampstead will start 13th and Steve Dickey of Londonderry 28th.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Cannan race offers $5,000 for first-place finisher - 0
- Ragan tops NASCAR Goliaths at Talladega - 0
- NASCAR upholds Penske penalties - 0
- NASCAR Sprint Cup: Harvick late move wins Richmond - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Thunder Road plays host to ACT race - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified back at Monadnock - 0
- Kyle Busch completes Texas two-step with win in NRA 500 - 0
- Jimmie Johnson dominates at Martinsville - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified Series kicks off season - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Will House, Senate continue the feud? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: City down to the wire on school budget, superintendent - 0
- Service planned for mother of Newtown school shooter - 0
- ENH Power parent firm accused of false advertising - 0
- Soldier from Pelham remembered for self-sacrifice - 0
- New Hampshire energy suppliers announce new alliance - 0
- Mont Vernon murder mastermind drops appeal, citing 'personal and moral' reasons - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Are B's destiny's darlings? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Lackey's performance key for Sox - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester