Home » Opinion » Editorials
Fast and loose Obama, Holder duck accountability
President Obama is so accustomed to blaming George W. Bush for everything that last week he blamed Bush for Fast and Furious, the reckless gun-walking program started by Obama’s Justice Department nine months after Bush left office.
“I think it’s important for us to understand that the Fast and Furious program was a field-initiated program begun under the previous administration,” Obama said in an interview with Univision, the Spanish-language broadcaster. Probably few who watched that interview also saw Jake Tapper of ABC News debunk the claim.
Fewer still probably read the inspector general’s report that Obama used to praise Attorney General Eric Holder. That report, a brutal indictment of Holder’s Justice Department, did fail to connect Holder personally to Fast and Furious. That is because, according to the report, staffers and appointees directly subordinate to Holder miraculously failed over and over again to tell their boss that his own department was putting thousands of guns into the hands of drug dealers, who were then taking them into Mexico and U.S. border states and murdering people with them. One of the murdered was U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.
Obama pretends that his attorney general’s complete ignorance of the program is evidence of his administration’s strong leadership. Exactly the opposite is true. The inspector general’s report reveals an ineptly managed Justice Department that enabled a “series of misguided strategies, tactics, errors in judgment, and management failures. ...” In response to this, Obama blames Bush and says, essentially, heck of a job, Holder. Amazing.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Minimum wages: Maximum spin - 13
- A CIA bombshell: Feinstein and the Fourth - 1
- Supervised visitation: The metal detector problem - 1
- Charter cap trap: A restriction to repeal - 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 4
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 19
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 21
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings being evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown doles out $29k to NHGOP committees from his PAC
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal