Home » Opinion » Editorials
Fast and loose Obama, Holder duck accountability
President Obama is so accustomed to blaming George W. Bush for everything that last week he blamed Bush for Fast and Furious, the reckless gun-walking program started by Obama’s Justice Department nine months after Bush left office.
“I think it’s important for us to understand that the Fast and Furious program was a field-initiated program begun under the previous administration,” Obama said in an interview with Univision, the Spanish-language broadcaster. Probably few who watched that interview also saw Jake Tapper of ABC News debunk the claim.
Fewer still probably read the inspector general’s report that Obama used to praise Attorney General Eric Holder. That report, a brutal indictment of Holder’s Justice Department, did fail to connect Holder personally to Fast and Furious. That is because, according to the report, staffers and appointees directly subordinate to Holder miraculously failed over and over again to tell their boss that his own department was putting thousands of guns into the hands of drug dealers, who were then taking them into Mexico and U.S. border states and murdering people with them. One of the murdered was U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.
Obama pretends that his attorney general’s complete ignorance of the program is evidence of his administration’s strong leadership. Exactly the opposite is true. The inspector general’s report reveals an ineptly managed Justice Department that enabled a “series of misguided strategies, tactics, errors in judgment, and management failures. ...” In response to this, Obama blames Bush and says, essentially, heck of a job, Holder. Amazing.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 8
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 1
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 1
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice