Singer Andy Williams dies at age 84
(Reuters) — Crooner Andy Williams has died at age 84 at his home in Branson, Missouri, his family said Wednesday.
Williams, who had been suffering from bladder cancer for a year, died Tuesday evening, his family said in a statement.
Known for his hit renditions of “Moon River” and “Born Free,” Williams hosted “The Andy Williams Show” on NBC for nearly a decade. The show then became an annual Christmas special.
Williams became entangled in a scandal when his ex-wife Claudine Longet was accused in 1976 of fatally shooting her lover, ski racer Spider Sabich.
The singer announced last year at an appearance at the Moon River Theater in Branson that he was suffering from cancer.
Williams, who grew up in Wall Lake, Iowa, made his professional singing debut at age 8 with his three brothers as part of the Williams Brothers Quartet.
Featured on radio stations nationwide, the brothers eventually drew the attention of Bing Crosby, who joined them to record the 1944 hit “Swinging on a Star.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' Motor Sports: Third Loudon Classic win in five years for Narbonne - 0
- Johnson dominates at Pocono - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified will be busy this weekend if the weather cooperates - 0
- Opportunistic Tony Stewart captures FedEx 400 - 0
- Jimmie Johnson wins record fourth NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race - 0
- Kenseth rallies late to win Southern 500 at Darlington - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Cannan race offers $5,000 for first-place finisher - 0
- Ragan tops NASCAR Goliaths at Talladega - 0
- NASCAR upholds Penske penalties - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off