Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Londonderry keeps eye out for red-handed apple thieves
LONDONDERRY — With apple season in full swing, staff at Moose Hill Orchards in Londonderry are keeping a watchful eye on its parking areas after several instances where customers snuck fruit into their trunks without paying.
“We see this year after year,” Orchard Manager Mike Cross said on Friday. “But it’s definitely on the uptick during our busy weekends.”
The weather was unseasonably warm last weekend and local orchards were bustling with activity. In the midst of all the excitement, several “bad apples” managed to make off without paying, he said.
Mack’s Apples, which operates out of Moose Hill Orchards, currently has several locations open. With miles upon miles of orchards, its sometimes difficult to catch folks who fill their bags of apples, empty those bags into the trunks of their cars, and fill them all over again.
In most cases, the orchard staff was able to catch the would-be-fruit thieves and ask for payment.
But just to be on the safe side, the farm has hired a few extra staff members to wear street clothes and patrol the parking areas during busy fall days.
“We’ll definitely be watching out,” said Cross.
So far this season, no charges have been pressed against any apple thieves, but last year two local men faced criminal charges after a Londonderry Police officer literally caught two of the men red-handed, carrying backpacks of stolen Elwood Orchard apples down West Road, while a Massachusetts couple was also arrested after being caught in the process of sneaking three bushels of apples into their van near Moose Hill Orchards on Pillsbury Road.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Delayed sexual assault trial to start today - 0
- Manchester man charged in series of store robberies - 0
- Fugitive convicted of stabbing Manchester man in heart in ’96 - 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 8
- Manchester woman accused of driving on sidewalk chasing boyfriend - 17
- Vehicle stops in Manchester yield 3 drug arrests - 5
- Pelham had employed finance head charged with embezzlement - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New Hampshire Senior News Notes
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424