June 11, 2013
June 4, 2013
May 29, 2013
May 22, 2013
Londonderry keeps eye out for red-handed apple thieves
LONDONDERRY — With apple season in full swing, staff at Moose Hill Orchards in Londonderry are keeping a watchful eye on its parking areas after several instances where customers snuck fruit into their trunks without paying.
“We see this year after year,” Orchard Manager Mike Cross said on Friday. “But it’s definitely on the uptick during our busy weekends.”
The weather was unseasonably warm last weekend and local orchards were bustling with activity. In the midst of all the excitement, several “bad apples” managed to make off without paying, he said.
Mack’s Apples, which operates out of Moose Hill Orchards, currently has several locations open. With miles upon miles of orchards, its sometimes difficult to catch folks who fill their bags of apples, empty those bags into the trunks of their cars, and fill them all over again.
In most cases, the orchard staff was able to catch the would-be-fruit thieves and ask for payment.
But just to be on the safe side, the farm has hired a few extra staff members to wear street clothes and patrol the parking areas during busy fall days.
“We’ll definitely be watching out,” said Cross.
So far this season, no charges have been pressed against any apple thieves, but last year two local men faced criminal charges after a Londonderry Police officer literally caught two of the men red-handed, carrying backpacks of stolen Elwood Orchard apples down West Road, while a Massachusetts couple was also arrested after being caught in the process of sneaking three bushels of apples into their van near Moose Hill Orchards on Pillsbury Road.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kingston man sentenced for sexually assaulting boy - 0
- Lancaster man, 24, indicted in alleged fight with police - 0
- Rochester woman arrested for alleged underage party - 0
- Jailed Danville man convicted for impersonating public defender - 0
- Nashua neighborhood shaken by elderly couple's murder - 0
- NH man killed ex-wife's husband, self, Vermont police say - 0
- Recent 'Fugitive of the Week' Michelle Smith captured in Nashua - 1
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 1
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
- New Hampshire Religion News in Brief - 0
- Queen City community to celebrate U.N. World Refugee Day today - 0
- Bethlehem Hebrew Congregation’s 93rd season has something for everyone - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez
Manipulating NH: Bloomberg and the terrorist
Goffstown officials want new Exit 7 on I-293
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424