Manchester West principal suspended; reason not made public
MANCHESTER — Manchester High School West Principal MaryEllen McGorry was suspended from her duties last week, Mayor Ted Gatsas confirmed Saturday.
Gatsas, who also serves as chairman of the city Board of School Committee, said he did not know the circumstances of McGorry's suspension, but said he believed it happened Thursday.
He referred further questions to Superintendent Thomas Brennan, who did not return phone calls seeking comment. McGorry also could not be reached for comment.
McGorry has been the school's principal since 2008, having served as an assistant principal and interim principal.
Before becoming an educator, McGorry, who holds a law degree from the former Franklin Pierce Law Center, which is now the University of New Hampshire School of Law, spent a portion of her working career as a Hillsborough County prosecutor.
McGorry's principal's page is still up on the high school's website, featuring her quote: “West High School is a great place to spend every day. It is a school filled with dedicated, talented and diverse students, faculty and staff.”
McGorry graduated from West High School in 1981, when she was named “Miss West.”
When she was appointed interim principal in 2007, about 100 faculty members at West High School signed a petition endorsing her being awarded the principal position permanently.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gunman among 3 dead after police storm Australia cafe - 0
- Hostages held in Australia Lindt Cafe, forced to hold Islamic flag in window - 0
- Iraq presses Hagel for greater U.S. military support against ISIS - 0
- Graphic report on CIA interrogations, torture released by Senate Democrats - 10
- U.S., South African hostages in Yemen killed in rescue attempt by U.S. SEAL team - 1
- Islamic State targeted in 17 air strikes by U.S., allies - 0
- ISIS kills US aid worker who had been held hostage - 0
- NH Guard members buoyed by deployment ceremony - 0
- U.S. helicopters return to combat missions in Iraq - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads