Manchester West principal suspended; reason not made public
MANCHESTER — Manchester High School West Principal MaryEllen McGorry was suspended from her duties last week, Mayor Ted Gatsas confirmed Saturday.
Gatsas, who also serves as chairman of the city Board of School Committee, said he did not know the circumstances of McGorry's suspension, but said he believed it happened Thursday.
He referred further questions to Superintendent Thomas Brennan, who did not return phone calls seeking comment. McGorry also could not be reached for comment.
McGorry has been the school's principal since 2008, having served as an assistant principal and interim principal.
Before becoming an educator, McGorry, who holds a law degree from the former Franklin Pierce Law Center, which is now the University of New Hampshire School of Law, spent a portion of her working career as a Hillsborough County prosecutor.
McGorry's principal's page is still up on the high school's website, featuring her quote: “West High School is a great place to spend every day. It is a school filled with dedicated, talented and diverse students, faculty and staff.”
McGorry graduated from West High School in 1981, when she was named “Miss West.”
When she was appointed interim principal in 2007, about 100 faculty members at West High School signed a petition endorsing her being awarded the principal position permanently.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
- Board to vote on new graphic design program - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 0
- Seeking to upend Hobby Lobby court ruling, federal legislation crafted - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Firefighters rescue five 'lucky ducks' in Londonderry - 0
- Abortion clinic buffer put on hold after court ruling - 1
- FairPoint union members to meet and talk strike - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax