Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Orioles top Sox, 4-3, to tie Yankees atop AL East
BALTIMORE -- Manny Machado hit a go-ahead solo home run in the seventh and Chris Davis added a two-run blast as host Baltimore pulled even in the American League East with a 4-3 win over the Boston Red Sox.
Machado added an RBI single in the first and Steve Johnson worked five-plus solid innings for the Orioles, who are now tied with the New York Yankees atop both the East and the wild card standings. The Yankees lost at Toronto earlier in the day.
After Boston pushed across the tying run in the sixth inning, Machado gave Baltimore back the lead in the following frame. The rookie got a 1-1 fastball from Felix Doubront (11-10) and lined it into the front row in left field for his seventh homer.
Davis had given the Orioles a 3-0 lead in the fourth when he sent a towering blast - his 30th - out to right field. The Red Sox battled back on Jarrod Saltalamacchia's two-run homer in the fifth and Cody Ross' sacrifice fly in the sixth.
Tommy Hunter (7-8) worked two scoreless innings to earn the win in relief and Jim Johnson struck out one in a scoreless ninth for his 49th save.
- - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Baltimore 1B Mark Reynolds made a great catch in foul territory, reaching into the stands next to the tarp and then falling down in between the tarp and the wall. He hung onto the ball to end the top of the fifth inning. ... Saltalamacchia's home run was his 25th, putting him one behind Carlton Fisk for the franchise record by a catcher. ... Boston CF Jacoby Ellsbury (undisclosed injury) returned after missing 10 days and went 1-for-4 with a run scored.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 2
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child