Steckowych leads NHGA Players Championship
Portsmouth CC’s Craig Steckowych posted an opening round two-under 70 to take a one shot lead during the opening round of the NHGA Players Championship at Baker Hill Golf Club in Newbury Saturday.
Ryan Kohler of Hooper followed at one-under 71 and Michael Mahan of Oaks Golf Links carded an even 72.
Steckowych fashioned five birdies during his round including three on the back nine to pull into the lead. Three bogeys, however, hindered his score.
Kohler led by a stroke, 35-34 after nine holes and went ahead by three strokes with a birdie and one of Steckowych’s troublesome bogeys on 10. But Kohler bogeys on 14 and 15 allowed Steckowych to gain the advantage.
Rounding out the top five were Will McLaughlin of Concord at 73, and DJ Lantz of Lake Sunapee and Jim Jankowski of Baker Hill at 74.
The event had originally been scheduled for June but due to weather had to be rescheduled. Play concludes today.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'