NH native Chris Carpenter upended by Reds
St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher Chris Carpenter delivers a pitch to a Cincinnati Reds batter during the first inning of their MLB National League baseball game in St. Louis, Missouri October 2, 2012. (REUTERS/Sarah Conard)
New Hampshire native Chris Carpenter got the start for the St. Louis Cardinals on Tuesday night with a chance to clinch a National League wild-card berth, but Cincinnati spoiled the party with a 3-1 victory.
Carpenter, making his third start of the season after returning from shoulder surgery, took the loss, falling to 0-2.
Carpenter threw 90 pitches over six innings, allowing seven hits and three earned runs. He struck out seven and walked two.
Cincinnati's Scott Rolen homered against Carpenter in the fourth inning and the Reds added two more runs in the sixth to take the lead for good.
Cincinnati's Mat Latos improved to 14-4 to earn the win, while Aroldis Chapman earned his 38th save of the season.
St. Louis holds a 1½-game lead over the L.A. Dodgers for the second wild-card berth. The Dodgers faced the San Francisco Giants late Tuesday night.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Intruder, a burglar, and attempted break-in keep Manchester police busy - 0
- Afterschool activities canceled in Jaffrey - 0
- Banker convicted of fraud in scheme involving press maker exec - 0
- Mass. man charged in Nashua hit-and-run - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 11
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Derry marks a soldier's death
Memorial Day Observances 2013
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840