Home » News » Public Safety
Rescuers carry Canadian hiker off Mount Washington
MOUNT WASHINGTON — At least four mountain rescue groups combined Tuesday for what a New Hampshire Fish & Game official termed the “very labor -ntensive carry-out” of a Canadian hiker who became disabled in the White Mountains.
Shortly before 2 p.m., the hiker, Yves Brault, 60, of Laval, Quebec, called 911 and reported a leg injury that prevented him from walking any further.
“Brault and his wife had been hiking up the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail to Lake in the Clouds. They had reached the lake and had started down the mountain when Brault slipped on some ledge and hurt his lower left leg. Brault could not put any weight on his left leg and could not go on without help,” Fish & Game Sgt. Wayne Saunders said in a news release.
State Fish & Game officials were notified and Saunders organized rescue personnel from the Appalachian Mountain Club, Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue, New Hampshire Mt. Washington Park and conservation officers from Fish & Game, said Saunders, who's stationed at the Region One office in Lancaster.
Rescuers responded to the summit of Mt. Washington, then hiked down and found the victim about 1½ miles from the summit.
They began the carry-out from the trail, taking Brault to the top of the mountain. He then was driven down the mountain in a state vehicle, according to Saunders.
Gorham Ambulance personnel were waiting at the bottom, and Brault was transported to Androscoggin Valley Hospital in Berlin for further care, he said in the release.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 2
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Fire destroys South Hampton barn - 0
- Boy out walking hit, injured by Jeep in Newton - 0
- Police investigating why Maine woman died in Somersworth apartment - 0
- Body found floating in Portsmouth - 0
- Spofford crash seriously injures two - 0
- Fire destroys barn in South Hampton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Store cashier in Littleton refuses to give up the cash to robber - 0
- UPDATE: Dover toll plaza appears undamaged after Tuesday crash - 2
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs yet to flip switch on power play - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Hooksett officer struck by motorist
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event
Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072