Home » News » Public Safety
Sketch released of Campton police imposter
Police released this sketch Tuesday of a man they say stopped a woman earlier this month in Campton and pretended to be a police officer.
CAMPTON — Police released a sketch of a man pretending to be a police officer who pulled over a woman driver earlier this month as she was driving on Route 175.
The incident happened about 10 p.m. near Mad River Road in the Upper Village section of town.
The man, who was wearing a baggy, gray raincoat and a black, baseball-style cap worn backwards, tried to get the woman to give him her driver's license and registration and let him search her car. He had no identifying police badge or insignia.
Suspicious, the 24-year-old woman began dialing her cellphone, and the man went back to his SUV and drove off, heading into the town of Thornton.
According to a news release, police conducted a follow-up interview with the woman, whose name has not been released, over the weekend, resulting in the police sketch.
She described the man as white, between the ages of 21 and 24 with dark brown or black eyebrows. He was about 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-8.
The man drove a dark-colored SUV, possibly a Ford Escape or similar vehicle, with blue shading running across the top of the windshield.
Police said Massachusetts State and Boston police recently arrested an individual with ties to the Lincoln area for impersonating a police officer. Campton police, however, said the man was eliminated as a suspect in the Route 175 incident due to a variety of reasons, none specified.
Campton police continue to investigate the incident and said they have received many inquiries regarding possible suspects.
Anyone who saw an unmarked SUV with blue lights that night on Route 175 near Mad River Road is asked to call police at 726-8874.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
- 'He is risen': 'As he said' - 0
- A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data - 0
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Defense has let Sox down so far - 0
- Developers think Guard site would have big potential - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: The zealots win again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire