Status quo at top of high school football Power Poll
Winnacunnet of Hampton passed a true test — playing without its featured running back — to stay unbeaten and remain atop the New Hampshire Union Leader/WGIR/WMUR Power Poll this week. The Warriors hosted Spaulding of Rochester on Friday and posted a 34-20 win despite the absence of Ben Franzoso, who is recovering from a hamstring strain.
Winnacunnet (6-0 overall) remained a unanimous pick at No. 1, occupying the top spot on the ballots of all eight voters from the statewide newspaper, radio network and television station. Spaulding (1-5 overall) stayed within a touchdown of Winnacunnet until the Warriors added another score midway through the fourth quarter Friday night.
Franzoso, who rushed for 219 yards and three touchdowns in Winnacunnet’s biggest win (Sept. 22, against Exeter), is expected to play Friday night at Keene (5-1). The Blackbirds moved up one spot to No. 5 in the power poll following a 21-20 win against Dover.
The top four spots in the poll remain unchanged with Exeter at No. 2, followed by Pinkerton of Derry and Bedford.
Nashua South (4-2) jumped two spots to No. 6 following its last-minute 35-28 win against Manchester Central. South quarterback Trevor Knight dashed 71 yards to the end zone with 12 seconds remaining at Gill Stadium.
Central (4-2) dropped to No. 7, ahead of Bishop Guertin of Nashua (3-2), Souhegan of Amherst (5-1) and Concord (4-2).
Plymouth Regional (6-0) of Division IV received eight points in the poll but failed to crack the top 10. Division III Portmouth (4-1) also received points.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Brady to suspicious Texan: Pats 'just played better' - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not half bad - 0
- Eagles’ Kelly amps up support for Foles - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way (again) - 0
- For Patriots, an imperfect victory over Houston - 0
- NH's Griffin settling into NFL with Texans - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Gap between Pats, Texans may not be so large - 0
- NFL Thanksgiving Roundup: Ravens outlast Steelers - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: When things look bleak, they just keep playing ... and winning - 0
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 0
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 0
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 0
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
- Celtics come up big against Nuggets - 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
- UNH, Dartmouth football players named All-New England - 0
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize