Bedford Fire's Open House provides basics of fire safety
BEDFORD — The focus was on education and fun at the Bedford Fire Department's Open House Tuesday.
October is Fire Prevention Month, and the Open House was part of a larger initiative that will include visits to the schools in town to talk to kids about fire safety, said Fire Chief Scott Wiggin.
“Kids will hopefully take that information back home with them,” Wiggin said, and talk about such topics as smoke alarms, escape routes and meeting places.
“To this day, we still go out and find homes without batteries in the smoke detectors, or no smoke detectors at all,” Wiggin said.
Wiggin said the evening provided a comfortable environment for members of the community to ask questions about the department, and also get a sense of what services their tax dollars support.
Kids had plenty to do, after sampling pizza provided by Papa Gino's.
An obstacle course, fire truck rides, a coloring contest and driving simulator were busy stations.
In the fire safety trailer, families learned what a home full of smoke looks like, and what to do in the event of a fire.
“They're learning how to put a towel in a door to keep the smoke out,” explained firefighter Jon Strong, who was stationed at the end of the unit, helping little ones out of a window.
Firefighter Dave Sherwood demonstrated the latest technology in EMS — an automated compression device used in CPR, which eliminates someone having to do chest compressions constantly.
The department purchased two of the devices in March, Sherwood said, and within 10 days of receiving them, staff responded to two cardiac arrest calls where they were used successfully.
“These devices really make a difference,” Sherwood said. “We're lucky that administration went out of its way to get these.”
Firefighter Rob Peters showed off some of the turn out gear worn by firefighters, showing children what a fully uniformed firefighter looks like.
“When we're coming into a home, we want them to be familiar with us,” Peters said. “I like the kids to approach me and touch the gear, so they're not afraid of it.”
Wiggin said education about fire prevention can't be stressed enough, and that there is a long-term benefit to ongoing education.
“The more they hear, the more they see, the more they retain,” Wiggin said.
Wiggin said the station often gives tours upon request, and wants the public to feel comfortable stopping by to say hello or ask questions.
“These doors are open all the time,” he said. “People are more than welcome to stop by.”
- - - - - - - -
Kathy Remillard may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Bedford Bulletin
100 William Loeb Drive
Manchester, NH 03109
Neighborhood News publications can be found at a newsstand near you here.
News, Obituaries, Sports & Social Announcements
Christine Heiser, Executive Editor
Email ads to email@example.com
Classified advertising: 603-669-1010
Display advertising: 603-668-4321
Print rate card | Digital rate card
Please use our online form at www.nh365.org
Lawmakers listen to pleas to kill bill that would end NH's participation in carbon tax initiative
Effort to constrain Free State backfires, confusion brings Grafton moderator to verge of tears
Study recommends rail to Nashua, Manchester