Home » Sports » College Sports
College Roundup: Rodgers leads Ravens to tennis win over PSU
Franklin Pierce University sophomore Leslie Rodgers earned a win in the final singles match, and the Ravens earned a hard-fought 5-4 victory against over Plymouth State University in non-conference tennis play on Thursday. In the No. 1 singles match, junior Natasha McCarthy of Rindge defeated Sara Burke, 6-3, 6-2.
Franklin Pierce improved to 1-5 overall while Plymouth State fell to 6-6. Freshman Nitsa Ioannides led a Panthers attack that came up just shy on the afternoon. Ioannides teamed up with Sara Burke for a doubles win and later added a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 2 singles.
Castleton State 4, Keene State 3: At Castleton, Vt., Blake Wardwell scored three goals, including the game-winner at the 4:26 mark of overtime. to give the hosts a non-conference victory at Spartan Stadium on Thursday. Senior Alex Billert of Center Conway had two goals to lead the Owls (9-6), and freshman Lyndsie Rabenius of North Hampton added a tally. Castleton State improved to 10-2.
Daniel Webster 1, Fitchburg State 0: At Nashua, senior Melissa Kelly of Hill chose a good time to score the first goal of her career. The senior defender tipped home freshman Taylor St. Jean’s pass with 17:58 remaining in regulation, and the DWC defense locked down the shutout. Rookie goalkeeper Danielle Melanson of Derry made five saves for the Eagles (2-8). Lucy Holewa of Londonderry made five saves for Fitchburg State (5-7).
UNH: Head coach Maureen Magarity has reorganized the women’s basketball staff.
Mike Roux, an assistant coach both of Magarity’s initial two years at UNH, has been elevated to associate head coach while Brendan Copes becomes an assistant coach. Kerry Cashman is the new director of operations.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- St. Anselm hockey eyes Division I - 1
- Franklin Pierce to play Shippensburg in Div. II baseball World Series - 0
- Franklin Pierce wins NCAA baseball regional - 1
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- NCAA Baseball: Penmen win again - 0
- College Baseball: Mathieu, FPU cruise in NCAAs - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU rolls in NCAA opener - 0
- College Baseball: DWC stays alive in NCAAs - 0
- Penmen set sights on return to NCAA Div. II World Series - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Will House, Senate continue the feud? - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: City down to the wire on school budget, superintendent - 0
- Service planned for mother of Newtown school shooter - 0
- ENH Power parent firm accused of false advertising - 0
- Soldier from Pelham remembered for self-sacrifice - 0
- New Hampshire energy suppliers announce new alliance - 0
- Mont Vernon murder mastermind drops appeal, citing 'personal and moral' reasons - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Are B's destiny's darlings? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Lackey's performance key for Sox - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions