Monarchs top Bruins in opener, 3-1
The Manchester Monarchs opened the AHL season with a 3-1 win at Providence Friday night.
Manchester overcame a 1-0 deficit to earn the win and will play at Albany tonight at 5:05 p.m.
Rookie Andy Andreoff broke a 1-1 tie with a power-play goal at 1:43 of the third period, stuffing home a rebound chance off a Jake Muzzin shot.
Second-year man Linden Vey made it 3-1 at 16:49, converting a feed from Stefan Legein for the insurance marker.
Monarchs goalie Martin Jones made 29 saves to pick up the win.
Providence led 1-0 after one period on a goal from Jamie Tardif at 15:38. Jones made a save on a Ryan Spooner shot but Tardif banged home the rebound from the right circle.
Manchester was having a hard time breaking through on Bruins goaltender Michael Hutchinson, who seemed to have the answer for every Monarch shot.
But Andrei Loktionov tied the game at 1-1 with a shorthanded goal with 17 seconds remaining in the second period. Loktionov chased down a loose puck on the left side and moved in to beat Hutchinson top shelf.
Muzzin finished with two assists on the night and Brandon Kozun and Andrew Bodnarchuk (facing his former team) added single helpers for Manchester.
The Monarchs open their home schedule next Friday at 7 p.m. when the P-Bruins visit for a rematch.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 2
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- Nurse said Exeter Hospital is making her a ‘scapegoat’ in hepatitis case - 0
- Derry council defends officials' purchases - 0
- Nashua librarian reports E-books flying off virtual shelves - 0
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
Milford team wins seatbelt challenge
Bruins seek repeat effort and complete sweep
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840