Monarchs top Bruins in opener, 3-1
The Manchester Monarchs opened the AHL season with a 3-1 win at Providence Friday night.
Manchester overcame a 1-0 deficit to earn the win and will play at Albany tonight at 5:05 p.m.
Rookie Andy Andreoff broke a 1-1 tie with a power-play goal at 1:43 of the third period, stuffing home a rebound chance off a Jake Muzzin shot.
Second-year man Linden Vey made it 3-1 at 16:49, converting a feed from Stefan Legein for the insurance marker.
Monarchs goalie Martin Jones made 29 saves to pick up the win.
Providence led 1-0 after one period on a goal from Jamie Tardif at 15:38. Jones made a save on a Ryan Spooner shot but Tardif banged home the rebound from the right circle.
Manchester was having a hard time breaking through on Bruins goaltender Michael Hutchinson, who seemed to have the answer for every Monarch shot.
But Andrei Loktionov tied the game at 1-1 with a shorthanded goal with 17 seconds remaining in the second period. Loktionov chased down a loose puck on the left side and moved in to beat Hutchinson top shelf.
Muzzin finished with two assists on the night and Brandon Kozun and Andrew Bodnarchuk (facing his former team) added single helpers for Manchester.
The Monarchs open their home schedule next Friday at 7 p.m. when the P-Bruins visit for a rematch.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem - 0
- Pro bouts highlight Rockingham Park MMA card in Salem - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: The magic has returned to Fenway - 0
- MLB draft rich with NH talent - 0
- Red Sox stuck to their plan during draft - 0
- Salem boys take another v-ball title - 0
- LeBlanc paces Conant win over Somersworth for Division III baseball title - 0
- Perkins paces Pittsfield - 0
- State girls final tennis match gains attention for the wrong reason - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Students being evaluated at scene of Salem bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 2
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 3
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840