Verlander, Tigers hold off Yankees to go up 3-0
DETROIT -- Justin Verlander fell just short of a complete game, then watched New York's rally come up short as Detroit's tense 2-1 win on Tuesday put them on the verge of sweeping the Yankees out of the American League Championship Series.
Verlander pitched eight scoreless innings but ran into trouble in the ninth when Eduardo Nunez homered to make the score 2-1 and forced the Tigers to use their bullpen.
Reliever Phil Coke came in for the final two outs and while he gave up two hits he eventually struck out Raul Ibanez to give Detroit a 3-0 lead in the best-of-seven series.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi, having lost captain Derek Jeter to a season-ending injury in Game one, had benched Alex Rodriguez and Nick Swisher in an effort to spark some life into his team.
Game four is on Wednesday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Afterschool activities canceled in Jaffrey - 0
- Banker convicted of fraud in scheme involving press maker exec - 0
- Mass. man charged in Nashua hit-and-run - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 10
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 13
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Derry marks a soldier's death
Memorial Day Observances 2013
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840