Verlander, Tigers hold off Yankees to go up 3-0
DETROIT -- Justin Verlander fell just short of a complete game, then watched New York's rally come up short as Detroit's tense 2-1 win on Tuesday put them on the verge of sweeping the Yankees out of the American League Championship Series.
Verlander pitched eight scoreless innings but ran into trouble in the ninth when Eduardo Nunez homered to make the score 2-1 and forced the Tigers to use their bullpen.
Reliever Phil Coke came in for the final two outs and while he gave up two hits he eventually struck out Raul Ibanez to give Detroit a 3-0 lead in the best-of-seven series.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi, having lost captain Derek Jeter to a season-ending injury in Game one, had benched Alex Rodriguez and Nick Swisher in an effort to spark some life into his team.
Game four is on Wednesday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
- UNH, Dartmouth football players named All-New England - 0
- Manchester Monarchs beat Portland Pirates in shootout - 0
- Wildcats shut down Black Bears again - 1
- U.S. preparing for grueling World Cup - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New Hampshire Senior News Notes
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840