Giants jump on Carpenter, Cards, 7-1
Marco Scutaro's single cleared the bases in the fourth inning and Ryan Vogelsong tossed seven strong frames as host San Francisco evened the National League Championship Series at one game apiece.
Vogelsong (1-0) turned in the Giants' first quality start of the postseason, allowing one run on four hits with four strikeouts. The win snapped San Francisco's three-game home losing streak to open the postseason.
The Giants broke a 1-1 tie with four runs in the fourth off Chris Carpenter (0-1) on three hits, a walk and two errors. Scutaro capped the rally with a bases-loaded single that scored two runs, with another scoring when the ball went through Matt Holliday's legs in left field.
Scutaro left the game in the fifth inning with a left hip injury caused in the first when Holliday went to break up a double play and slid hard and late into the second baseman.
Carpenter, who lost for only the third time in 17 career postseason starts, allowed a leadoff homer to Angel Pagan in the first and was pulled after four innings. Carpenter drove in the Cardinals' lone run in the second with a two-out RBI double.
The Giants outhit St. Louis 12-5 and drew clear in the bottom of the eighth on Ryan Theriot's two-run single off Shelby Miller. The Giants' bullpen worked two scoreless innings and has allowed only one hit in 7 1/3 frames over the first two games of the series.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Pagan is the second player in major league history to hit two leadoff homers in one postseason. …The series resumes with the Cardinals' Kyle Lohse facing Matt Cain in Game 3 on Wednesday in St. Louis. … Vogelsong became the first Giants pitcher to hit a double in a postseason game since Jack Bentley in 1923. …St. Louis RF Carlos Beltran hit two doubles in three at-bats and improved to 12-for-29 (.414) this postseason.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 1
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 3
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 12
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 32
License revocations for DWI announced