Grieving father asks to lift city cemetery restrictions
MANCHESTER — Parks and Recreation commissioners are considering a man’s proposal to allow decorations on children’s graves at city cemeteries.
Michael Guglielmo presented the commission with a request Wednesday for an exemption to restrictions on leaving flowers, balloons, toys and other items as a memorial for children.
Guglielmo lost his 5-year-old son, Giovanni, in April to a genetic immune deficiency. Guglielmo was upset this summer when he found items he had left at his son’s grave had been removed and thrown in the garbage.
The commission voted last month to allow a 30-day window for grieving parents and others to leave items as memorials for children. Guglielmo would like to see the city allow parents to build borders in front of children’s graves and leave tributes year-round, provided the parents maintain the inside of the borders.
Parks and Recreation Commissioner Peter Capano said commissioners wanted to explore Guglielmo’s request further before acting on it. Capano said one commissioner asked about expanding Guglielmo’s idea to all graves. Commissioners also want to consider how it would affect maintenance and aesthetics at the cemetery.Capano said the commission will review the topic when it next meets Nov. 21.
- Should Manchester's mayor receive a 59% pay raise?
- Total Votes: 292
License revocations for DWI announced
NH tobacco cash proves a windfall
St. Anselm hockey eyes Division I