Home » Opinion » Editorials
Jobs for NH? Lamontagne's the choice
To determine which candidate for governor would do a better job of boosting New Hampshire’s economy, one need look no further than their jobs plans.
Ovide Lamontagne’s plan is focused on improving the conditions that foster job growth. New Hampshire has among the highest business taxes in the nation. Lamontagne proposes a reduction in the business enterprise tax from 8.5 percent to 8 percent, a multi-level reform of the way businesses are taxed so paying taxes is simpler, a more sensible allowance for untaxed compensation for small business owners, and adding or expanding certain tax credits linked to job creation.
By contrast, eight of Maggie Hassan’s nine jobs-plan bullet points are dedicatd to spending more money on education. Only one point — the last one — is about taxes, and it involves only the research and development tax credit, which Lamontagne also wants to extend.
Like President Obama, Hassan has no idea how businesses really operate. She thinks she can stimulate growth just by spending more money. Lamontagne’s plan is the one that would really help New Hampshire businesses create more jobs. If Granite Staters want growth, they should vote for Lamontagne.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- John Stossel: Sublet my people go - 0
- Another View: A voter ID compromise with which we all can live - 15
- George Will: The NLRB’s school-door stand - 1
- Pat Buchanan: Barack Obama is the spectator President - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama's 'idiot' defense - 1
- Another View: Amendments to the Senate casino bill make it worth passing - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: On Medicaid expansion, the right answer is, 'not yet' - 2
- Deroy Murdock: A bloated state necessarily bullies, as the IRS did - 3
- Kathy Sullivan: The IRS scandal exposes flaw behind tax-exempt politicking - 24
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather may be more like Veterans Day than Memorial Day - 0
- Awards cap city's Small Business Week - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Concert to aid Nashua man with rare disease
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty