action:article | category:SPORTS07 | adString:SPORTS07 | zoneID:40

Home » Sports » Hockey

October 18. 2012 11:04PM

NHL calls union's offer 'a step backward'

TORONTO — Labor talks between the National Hockey League and locked-out players broke off Thursday with the two sides no closer to resolving their differences on key economic issues, putting hopes for a full 82-game season in serious doubt.

The NHL, which presented a six-year deal earlier this week that proposed an equal split of hockey-related revenue with the players, said the union discussed three different offers on Thursday that all failed to approach a 50-50 split.

“I am concerned, based on the proposal that was made today, that things are not progressing,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters. “To the contrary, I view the proposal made by the players' association a step backward.”

The proposal offered by the NHL, which is looking to cut the players' share of revenue from the 57 percent they got under the previous deal that expired a month ago, is contingent on an 82-game regular season starting on Nov. 2.

NHL Players' Association Executive Director Donald Fehr said the first scenario presented by the union would reach a 50-50 split in three years, the second would get to 50-50 by the fifth year, while a third option proposed a 50-50 split immediately, but only if owners honor all current contracts at 100 percent.

But after meeting with the NHL for several hours in downtown Toronto, Fehr said the league rejected all three scenarios and was willing only to “tweak” the offer it presented earlier this week, according to Fehr.

“I don't know what we will eventually do. I don't know what the owners will eventually do,” Fehr, flanked by several NHL players including Sidney Crosby, told reporters.

“But if you had been in the room the vibe you would have gotten is 'unless you are prepared to sign with very minor variations, don't bother us.'”

The dispute over how to split the NHL's $3.3 billion revenue pie represents the league's fourth work stoppage in 20 years and first since a 310-day lockout wiped out the 2004-05 season.

The current lockout, which has already cost the league about $250 million in lost revenue after it canceled the preseason and the Oct. 11-24 block of regular season games, could soon force the NHL to scrap another piece of the schedule.

Bettman, who called the NHL's latest offer a “best shot” deal to offer long-term stability for the league and its 30 franchises, said a signed deal is needed by Oct. 25 to ensure a full season is played.

“We indicated that we are prepared to have discussions, that we are prepared to look for tweaks or adjustments, but this is the deal that we believe this league needs to get the games going,” said Bettman.

“But the longer this goes, and particularly if we are not in a position to have an 82-game regular season, damage may in fact make it even more difficult as time goes on to make a deal.”


 NH Sports Angle more
Links to news and happenings around the world of sports with a Granite State connection, updated daily.

Sudanese runner with NH ties hoping to crowdfund way to 2016 Olympics

Former Wildcat van Riemsdyk undergoes successful surgery

Monadnock Speedway driver captures first Granite State NASCAR title

CASEY DeSMITH

Star goaltender DeSmith no longer on NH roster after assault charge

UNH squad practices without helmets, shoulder pads to reduce risk of head trauma

24 Hours Of LeMons: This Time We Went Fast, Briefly

NHRA president Tom Compton candid on series and its challenges

World's tallest pro basketball player is from Strafford, NH

NH-based hockey helmet maker Bauer to drop concussion protection claims

NH native's statistics help Padres win

UNH receives NFL funding for brain injury research

Olympic skier Krass helps Hanover High clinch soccer championship

'100: Head/Heart/Feet' film follows NH man in grueling world of ultra-running

Athletic director says no one injured in disturbance after Keene High football game

Fishers Cats extend agreement with Toronto Blue Jays through 2018

24 Hours of LeMons New England: The winners!

Kings use emergency-roster exemption before facing Penguins

NH man beat out 75,000 competitors to win $1M in fantasy football contest

Video: Exact moment NH man wins a million dollars on DraftKings

That 70s Line continues to work magic as L.A. Kings win sixth straight

N.H. Motor Speedway to become home of North East Motor Sports Museum

Keene pumpkin riot probe turns to technology inspired by Boston Marathon bombing

Riverside Speedway in Groveton on auction block Nov. 1

MORE

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!