Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester resident, 87, thankful to alderman who saved her life
MANCHESTER — An 87-year-old city resident said she has restaurant owner/city alderman Joe Kelly Levasseur to thank for being alive, after he revived her at his restaurant Saturday night.
Bette Duhaime said friends have said her skin was nearly Navy blue when Levasseur performed the Heimlich maneuver on her. Levasseur started resuscitation efforts once she lapsed into lifelessness a second time.
All happened during a busy Saturday night at his restaurant, Theos on Elm Street.
“I owe everything to him. He’s absolutely spectacular,” said Duhaime, when reached by telephone at her home Monday night.
“I will vote for him for anything he runs for, dogcatcher, whatever,” said Duhaime, who opened and ran the Wick Shop, a candle shop on Chestnut Street, for decades.
Levasseur said his Boy Scout training kicked in when a waitress entered his kitchen Saturday night to say a customer seemed to be choking.
He used the Heimlich method to clear her throat. Her skin color returned, she was breathing, and her companions said she was fine.
But then she lapsed into unconsciousness again, and Levasseur and a customer performed CPR. Levasseur said he did mouth-to-mouth breathing while a customer handled the chest compressions.
After about five rounds, Duhaime started breathing, Levasseur said.
“I tell you what’s amazing, it works. CPR actually works,” Levasseur said. Duhaime was rushed to Elliot Hospital and was discharged Sunday afternoon.
She said her jaw is black and blue and her lip is cut, and she may have a touch of pneumonia. But otherwise she is fine.
“He (Levasser) went right into action. No hestitation, no yelling, everyone was calm,” said Diane Joidon, a waitress at Theos.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 86
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 1
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 2
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time