Salmon die in tank mishap
FRANKLIN -- About 200 salmon that were being taken to the Pemigewasset River for stocking late last month died as a result of bleach in the transport tanks, Fish and Game officials said.
The fish were older salmon that had been used for breeding at fish hatcheries as part of the Atlantic Salmon Brood Stock Fishery project, said Matthew Carpenter, a fisheries biologist with fish and game.
The fish were to be dropped in the river just below the Franklin Falls after being transported to from other hatcheries, but along the way, about 200 of them died from bleach residue in the portable fish tanks, he said.
The residue should have been entirely cleaned from the tank but was not, Carpenter said.
The dead fish, which were safe to eat, were given to Franklin food pantries, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Pat Buchanan: Barack Obama is the spectator President - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama's 'idiot' defense - 1
- Another View: Amendments to the Senate casino bill make it worth passing - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: On Medicaid expansion, the right answer is, 'not yet' - 2
- Deroy Murdock: A bloated state necessarily bullies, as the IRS did - 3
- Kathy Sullivan: The IRS scandal exposes flaw behind tax-exempt politicking - 24
- Pat Buchanan: For what should Americans die? - 1
- Your Turn, NH: Common Core will be a costly burden for students, taxpayers - 10
- Jonah Goldberg: The IRS was only following Obama's lead - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 0
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 1
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 9
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 29
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
License revocations for DWI announced
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
- Should NH outlaw puppy mills?
- Total Votes: 37