Salmon die in tank mishap
FRANKLIN -- About 200 salmon that were being taken to the Pemigewasset River for stocking late last month died as a result of bleach in the transport tanks, Fish and Game officials said.
The fish were older salmon that had been used for breeding at fish hatcheries as part of the Atlantic Salmon Brood Stock Fishery project, said Matthew Carpenter, a fisheries biologist with fish and game.
The fish were to be dropped in the river just below the Franklin Falls after being transported to from other hatcheries, but along the way, about 200 of them died from bleach residue in the portable fish tanks, he said.
The residue should have been entirely cleaned from the tank but was not, Carpenter said.
The dead fish, which were safe to eat, were given to Franklin food pantries, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Automatic spaying, neutering of mixed-breed dogs has a downside - 0
- Woman sues after her dogs kill neighbor's pet beagle - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Breed's bad reputation skews the truth about pitbulls - 2
- Auburn family's dog found shot in head - 10
- Cat dies after reportedly being thrown from vehicle on Route 11 in New Durham - 6
- Swanzey dog rescue seeks funds to rebuild after fire - 0
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Derry residents debate dog leash law - 0
- Man who shot Huskies was worried he would be target of animal rights groups - 20
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins - 0
- Dowd's goal wins for Manchester - 0
- John Habib's City Sports:'Moment' is here: Derryfield CC renovation begins - 0
- Driver charged with DWI after mayhem on I-293 - 0
- Department of Employment Security sends confidential ID info to wrong firms - 0
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 0
- Man, 86, struck by car while crossing street in Manchester - 0
- Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding - 0
- Hot deals, warm shoppers - 0
Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding
Day Three in the dark for many in NH
Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins
Derry holiday parade to be held today
Hot deals, warm shoppers