All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Manchester crimewatch: Assault called 'a misunderstanding'

October 26. 2012 12:06AM

MANCHESTER - Anthony Martinez, 26, of 461 Maple St., pleaded innocent Wednesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to a simple assault charge involving his girlfriend.

Martinez assured Judge Gregory Michael that the incident was just 'a misunderstanding.'

He said the woman, who doesn't speak English, was in the gallery to support him. 'She don't work. I pay for everything,' said Martinez.

Police prosecutor Capt. Robert Cunha requested $5,000 cash/surety for Martinez, saying there is a 72-hour probation hold on him in connection with a 2008 conviction for sale of a drug near a school.

The judge set bail at $1,500 cash/surety, but told Martinez he cannot have contact with the woman or return to the Maple Street address unless bail conditions are changed by a judge.

Trial was set for Jan. 24.

Tears don't impress

A teen who failed to appear for court dates on two sets of theft charges - and gave a false name to a police officer who stopped her for an equipment issue Tuesday - told a Circuit Court-Manchester District Court Judge: 'I've never been in jail before. ... I haven't stolen anything since that date. ... I'm a good person.'

Emily Lamontagne, 18, of 400 Amherst St., told Judge Gregory Michael some of the theft cases, which involve incidents at two Rite Aid stores and Sears in the Mall of New Hampshire, had been resolved. But police prosecutor Capt. Robert Cunha said although Lamontagne had a community service agreement on the first July theft charge at the McGregor Street Rite Aid store, she had not completed the community service and had not appeared in court when scheduled in September.

Meanwhile, a warrant was issued Aug. 4 on an alleged theft from the Rite Aid on Elm Street the same day as the McGregor Street incident.

Cunha said another warrant was issued Sept. 19 for a theft from Sears and a contempt of court charge was filed because she was out on bail when she allegedly committed a new crime, but Lamontagne failed to appear in court on that charge Oct. 3. In all, three electronic bench warrants were issued for Lamontagne for her failures to appear in court, said Cunha.

Lamontagne said she was sick for some of those court dates and has a doctor's note. She also claimed she didn't know about all the court dates.

The judge asked Lamontagne how she would feel if when she got home someone had broken in and taken things. Lamontagne, who had been crying, said she would be upset, but protested that she hadn't committed a burglary. 'Stealing is stealing,' said Michael, who added: 'The crying isn't doing anything for me.'

He then set bail at $5,000 personal recognizance, but warned Lamontagne that if she fails to show up for a newly scheduled Jan. 23 trial date for all the charges: 'You will sit in jail.'

Caught with copper wire

Matthew Cormier, 28, of 329 Amherst St., pleaded innocent Wednesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to misdemeanor charges of theft by unauthorized taking and criminal mischief.

Manchester police said officers responding to report of a suspicious person by the railroad tracks in the area of North Commercial and Canal streets found Cormier walking on the tracks just north of Commercial Street and noticed the railroad crossing arms were in the down position across North Commercial Street.

Police said Cormier's backpack contained a number of tools and cut pieces of copper wiring. They said a witness reported seeing Cormier cutting the wires from equipment associated with the tracks. A Pan Am Railways field engineer also responded to the scene and identified the wires in the man's possession as 'copper relay bonds.' The wire was apparently cut from a relay switch, which caused the crossing arms to descend across the intersection and affected the traffic signals at West Brook and Canal streets, causing a slight backup in traffic.

Police prosecutor Carissa Pelletier requested $4,000 cash/surety bail for Cormier, but Cormier asked Judge Gregory Michael for personal recognizance bail, saying he had been out of work, but had just started two jobs.

Saying he was surprised Cormier had time to allegedly commit a crime if he was that busy, Michael set bail at $1,000 cash/surety. Trial was set for Jan. 22.

Crime Manchester

More Headlines