Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Son arrested in Manchester homicide
MANCHESTER — Authorities have arrested a 29-year-old man for second-degree murder in the shooting death of his father.
Evan C. Smith will be arraigned Monday in Manchester District (9th Circuit) Court at 9 a.m.
Philip J. Smith, 61, was found dead in his home at 519 Hevey St. Friday from an apparent gunshot wound, according to the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office.
Police issued a bulletin Friday afternoon asking for the public’s help in locating Evan Smith. Describing him as “a person of interest,” they said he “may be armed and dangerous” and warned the public not to approach him or his car, a 1992 black Honda Civic. Two hours later, they canceled that bulletin, stating only that Smith had been located.
Last evening, the AG’s Office and Manchester police issued a brief press release stating that Smith had been arrested in his father’s death.
Assistant Attorney General Janice Rundles said an autopsy on Philip Smith will be conducted Monday.
On Friday night, Rundles called the shooting a “targeted event” and said there was no danger to the public. “This victim was targeted by someone in particular,” she said.
In the hours after the shooting, the Hevey Street building, on Manchester’s West Side, was blocked off with yellow crime-scene tape. Neighbors stood nearby, some knowing there was a body inside but little else as the investigation continued into the shooting, which happened about 11:30 a.m.
On Saturday, all crime-scene tape had been removed from the blue, three-story apartment building. A group of men playing basketball at a neighboring apartment building said they didn’t know the Smith family or the circumstances of Friday’s shooting.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 8
- Manchester woman accused of driving on sidewalk chasing boyfriend - 17
- Vehicle stops in Manchester yield 3 drug arrests - 5
- Pelham had employed finance head charged with embezzlement - 0
- Two in Keene robbed at home - 0
- Mass. man accused in sex assault of teen in Nashua - 0
- Police seek 4 teens for Manchester robbery - 1
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Celtics hammer Knicks - 0
- Weary Monarchs lose in shootout - 0
- Manchester man charged in series of store robberies - 0
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 23
- Winter storm pushes up East Coast after weekend blast - 0
- Police looking for information about blood on Pelham road - 0
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 4
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424