Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Son arrested in Manchester homicide
MANCHESTER — Authorities have arrested a 29-year-old man for second-degree murder in the shooting death of his father.
Evan C. Smith will be arraigned Monday in Manchester District (9th Circuit) Court at 9 a.m.
Philip J. Smith, 61, was found dead in his home at 519 Hevey St. Friday from an apparent gunshot wound, according to the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office.
Police issued a bulletin Friday afternoon asking for the public’s help in locating Evan Smith. Describing him as “a person of interest,” they said he “may be armed and dangerous” and warned the public not to approach him or his car, a 1992 black Honda Civic. Two hours later, they canceled that bulletin, stating only that Smith had been located.
Last evening, the AG’s Office and Manchester police issued a brief press release stating that Smith had been arrested in his father’s death.
Assistant Attorney General Janice Rundles said an autopsy on Philip Smith will be conducted Monday.
On Friday night, Rundles called the shooting a “targeted event” and said there was no danger to the public. “This victim was targeted by someone in particular,” she said.
In the hours after the shooting, the Hevey Street building, on Manchester’s West Side, was blocked off with yellow crime-scene tape. Neighbors stood nearby, some knowing there was a body inside but little else as the investigation continued into the shooting, which happened about 11:30 a.m.
On Saturday, all crime-scene tape had been removed from the blue, three-story apartment building. A group of men playing basketball at a neighboring apartment building said they didn’t know the Smith family or the circumstances of Friday’s shooting.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester-based scam roofer going to prison for making promises, taking money - 0
- Rochester shooting investigated - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester police recover $11,000 in drugs while investigating domestic assault - 1
- Somersworth mother charged over statements in abuse case against Rochester boyfriend - 1
- UPDATE: Rochester man says he held girl, 3, in headlock for wetting the bed - 1
- Nine arrested in Ossipee drug sweep - 0
- Litchfield woman charged in theft at local grocery store - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester man suffers head injury trying to break up fight - 0
- Former Derry Town Administrator John Anderson asks judge to dismiss charges - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
- Sen. Ayotte vows to fight on after her military sex assault bill passes - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth